Friends Seeking Friends – town residents who support the public library are urged to join our organization. The Friends of the Bartlett Public Library Board holds a monthly meeting at the library on the second Tuesday of the month at 5:30 followed by the book club discussion at 7 PM. Book discussions are facilitated by anyone interested in recommending a book and helping with the discussion. Janice Brodil, Programming Chair, attempts to find outside speakers for special events. All are welcome to join us for book discussions, become a member, volunteer to serve on the Friends board or help in other ways. Members receive timely email updates and reminders of meetings and events. Our next special is the 4th of July Book/Bake Sale. Hope to see everyone there before or after the Bartlett Parade in the village..
In addition to running a monthly book discussion group for adults, we are a support group for the library and provide funding for activities and events including the Summer Reading Program, the newsletter and website, purchasing museum passes, the Books for Babies gift bags,and much more. If interested membership forms are available at the library or can be downloaded from this website.
Friends Mission Statement – “The Friends of the Bartlett Library is a non-profit volunteer organization with a mission to support the needs of the library, to increase library usage and to expand the cultural and educational options in Bartlett.” The Friends also raise money to support special library activities and collections. All money comes from fundraisers and member dues. To join the Friends fill out the forms provided at the library or contact us by email.
At the Annual Meeting held on June 11, 2013, election of officers and board members included: Judy Ludgate - President, support of bartlettpubliclibrary.org and newsletter, Treasurer
Janice Brodil – Book Club and Programming Chair
Karen Allan – Secretary
Pat Heiges – Refreshments and Membership
Colleen Allbee – Books for Babies (Colleen has retired from the board but will remain our Books for Babies liasion) – Frank Siek is a volunteer as Treasurer of the Building Fund.
Members work on ideas for monthly programs and encourage your suggestions. A few highlights from the Friends meeting that we would like to share with you:
- Our latest purchase is a telescope that will soon be available to be checked out.
- This year we supported a computer workshop led by Todd Libby
- We currently have over 45 members, many actively supporting our book club meetings.
- Don’t forget to take out library’s Nook to read one of the books we purchase monthly or use nh.lib.overdrive.com/, a service provided by the New Hampshire Audiobook Library that will provide a large selection of books. You might take out the Nook to become comfortable with e-readers, whether a Nook or Kindle, if you are considering buying one.
- Please contact us if you know of a baby born in Bartlett so the family can receive a ”Books for Babies Bag” as a welcome to your community library.
The Friends maintain a Bartlett Public Library, Bartlett, NH page on FACEBOOK Check it for up-to-the-minute information and let us know what you think of our e-blasts.